Sajal Ali is a Pakistani actress noted for playing a variety of characters in a range of serials—from contemporary social to romantic dramas. Ali first appeared on screen in a minor role in one episode of the 2009 Geo TV’s comedy drama Nadaaniyaan. She made her screen debut as a leading actress with the 2011 ARY Digital serial Mehmoodabad Ki Malkain. She subsequently featured in more prominent roles in successful serials like Mastana Mahi (2012), Mohabbat Jaye Bhar Mein (2012), Ahmed Habib Ki Betiyan (2012), Sitamgar (2012), Meri Ladli(2012), Kitni Girhain Baqi Hain (2013),Behadd (2013),Quddusi Sahab Ki Bewah (2013), Nanhi (2013), Sannata (2013), Aasmanon Pay Likha (2013), Chup Raho (2014) and Gul-e-Rana (2015). Her upcoming movie, a romantic–drama called Zindagi Kitni Haseen Hay [ZKHH], in which she plays Mahira, releases this year on Eid-ul-Azha.
Following is a chat Sajal had exclusively with Ink:
My mom acted for some time. Did theatre too. Before her marriage. I just wanted to be an actress too.
2. Can you please tell us a bit about ZKHH and your character in particular?
There are multiple shades in this character. It’s a young girl and then a mother. It was quite a complex character to play.
3. Why did you choose ZKHH to make your film debut with? What excited you most about the project?
The script. The team.
4. In your opinion, what is most important for a good project – the director, the script or the cast?
All three! Any department which is weak can spoil the whole project.
5. This year has not been that great for Pakistani movies so far unfortunately. Despite so many movies releasing, none of them have been able to strike a cord with the audience. Why do you think this is happening?
We are a young industry. We are still learning. Give all these movies a chance. I am sure we will make better movies in the near future!
6. You will also soon be seen in the Indian movie Mom. Please share your experience on getting a chance to work with veterans like Sri Devi and Nawazuddin Siddiqui.
It was a huge learning experience. Sridevi ma’am is a great artist. So is Nawaz. Right now however I am more focused on our own cinema.
7. Have you signed any more films, how are you planning to take your acting career forward?
It all depends on how ZKHH is received by the audience. I will make up my mind after this release.
Follow Sajal on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Sajal.actress